Sunday, November 1, 2009


I've got to be honest as I write this, I am a total Pixar junkie. Anything that Pixar has made, I've seen and I love it all. From Toy Story to A Bug's Life to Monster's Inc., I love it all. So its no surprise to me that when they're newest creation, Up, came out it was an instant hit with me. Its DVD release date is set for November 10 and you better believe I've already pre-ordered my copy.
Somehow Pixar always manages to create the most upbeat, funny, and sentimental movies for children. The great thing I love about Pixar is that they're movies are not solely geared towards kids. They manage to weave together the interests of adults and children together to make it simple enough for a child to follow and complex enough for an adult to stay intrigued. And Up is no different. It tells a heartwarming tale of a young boy, Carl, who at the young age of about 10 finds his true love in a spritely young girl, Ellie, whose greatest dream is to travel the world and make it to South America to Paradise Falls. Through a series of events the couple reaches old age and unfortunately Ellie passes away. Then just as Carl is about to be put into a nursing home, he comes up with an ingenious plan to turn his house into a giant hot air balloon, in an effort to make his way to Paradise Falls but accidentally finds himself with a companion, Russell, a little boy who came knocking to Carl's door at the right moment.
This movie was great to watch not only because it had great lessons to be learned but it also addresses some of the leading issues in the U.S. today having to do with the societal gap building between the young and the elderly and how technology is playing a key role in perpetuating that gap. Pixar does a great job of showing the issue and of course finding a "happily ever after" and telling us that in the end, we can all get along and live together.

So, even if you hate pixar movies (I don't know anyone who does, but its a hypothetical) I guarantee you will love to watch this.

No comments:

Post a Comment